Quite the contrast to last time, I had a 10/10 view off Mount Diablo!
- Never underestimate the climb. Knowing what you’re in for is half the battle.
- Apply sunscreen. Reapply sunscreen during the climb, you’ll sweat that shit right off your skin. If you’re tanned, don’t get cocky.
- Pay attention to the trail, even if you’re tired from that damn climb. Before you know it you’ll break an ankle or step in surprise bog. You never know, really. Not until it’s too late.
- Yes, extra socks are indeed good to bring.
- Being excited to go make pancakes at camp is fine. Just don’t forget to bring butter or oil or similar, like some kind of idiot.
- Raccoons are evil little bastards, as proven by the way their eyes reflect orange and green when you shine light in their direction during the night.
- If you find them trying to get at your food, charge forward with a cool battle-cry. Prepare one beforehand, or you risk “rakakaka!” being the best you can come up with.
- Even after giving them a good scare, and securing your food better, the critters are persistent. Expect to be waken up during the night by them rattling at your food storage locker.
- Yes, there’s miscellaneous noises too. Bring earplugs.
- When on trail, if you ever find yourself asking “why am I doing this”, make sure there’s a thousand answers you can give. At the very least, know you’ve already come all this way and turning back would be a waste of effort.
- Always keep your eyes on the prize, and don’t turn around to admire the view halfway up the climb.
All in all, another great expedition!