Oh how I wish this suffering never ended.
I could talk about the “vector and matrix maths 101” optional course I started following today, and how I’m managing really well, but it’s all entry-level stuff anyway and the only thing I’ve learnt so far is the official mathematical notations. So let’s just skip straight past that and talk about that game project I’ve been working on. Now I know I’ve said it before, but I finally got it working properly! This time for real, I think. I hope.
See, the thing is, it’s a multiplayer game (which is something I’m starting to doubt is a good idea, but whatever). Since players need to be able to play against each other over the internet, you need a server in the middle to facilitate communication and to ensure neither player is cheating. I knew from the start that setting this up would be a pain, since I had tried and half-failed a couple times before, but I didn’t expect things to get as rough as they got.
So after overhauling the system yesterday and claiming “it works”, it turned out that it wasn’t that easy. I hadn’t yet worked around a certain kind of data that needed to be transmitted, which I couldn’t just throw in as-is and call it a day. Struggles. Parts of the system didn’t facilitate this kind of behavior at all, so they had to be re-done. Which is what I spent most of my time today doing.
And now I’ve reworked a huge part of the codebase, and the game runs exactly as it did before. Except this time, the underlying structure is much more similar to what I envision the end result being, which means that if no more big issues pop up, it’s much smoother sailing from here on out.
It’s kinda shitty to redo the same stuff over and over again, but incredibly educational and secretly kind of fun, too.