Did I tell y’all about that Werewolves (party game) app I’d be working on?
I wanted to use a popular cross-platform UI suite, but to deploy to mobile you needed a paid version. No problem, they offer those for free to students, great! Submitted a request, and waited. And waited. Finally got my license yesterday, so of course I gave it a spin. It was… somewhat disappointing. Not that the software wasn’t what I had expected, I just realized it didn’t suit my needs. Besides, it was a huge hassle just setting up a “Hello world!” thing, since I’m not familiar with the suite yet.
After giving it some thought, I decided to fall back to framework I have most frequently used for game development and related things. It doesn’t come with a built-in system for UI however, and that’s a bit of a problem: the app is almost entirely made up of UI. After giving it very little thought, I went ahead and started building my own UI system. Of course, I could use an existing library, but I have a few specific needs for which I’ll need to write custom code anyway, so might as well write everything the way I need it.
It’ll be a long slog to get everything perfect, but once those foundations are set up I can whip up a fancy UI with a few lines of code and then get down to the actual game logic. Looking forward to that!