Lua is love. Lua is life.

Yesterday I asked y’all if you ever had any good business ideas. Tonkow said he didn’t go through with them because he’s afraid of the patent wars. Rant incoming!

A friend of mine has been digging into patents lately, so I’ve been learning a bit about it as well. I do understand that companies sue others for using something similar to their idea, because hey, their patent covers that. But really, it’s been getting awfully out of hand these days.

Especially with Apple. They’ve been suing folks left and right. They don’t give a shit because they got loads of money to pay for the trials and whatnot, and if all goes well they earn money from it in the end.
Fun example though, is how Samsung won a trial and now Apple has to state on their site that Samsung did not rip any ideas off of Apple. I don’t know the exact details, but it’s hilarious nonetheless.

But eh, ideas will always be getting stolen. However, unless it’s an exact replica of yours, I don’t feel it’s justified to just sue them over it. People pull inspiration from everywhere. Can’t sue me because I liked the motifs in Harry Potter and used them in my own, completely unrelated story, now can you?

Sad thing, it’s scaring people away.

Comments

• 22/07/2012 (5:55 AM)

It’s just another way for corporations to make money, kind of like legal war games.

• 22/07/2012 (5:37 AM)

Yahoo! and Facebook chat is another ‘war’ on patents, I think.

Like Mark, I kind of think it’s hilarious that Apple has to do what it has to after losing against Samsung. I have nothing against Apple per se (I actually use both the iPod and the iPad), but it’s a lesson to be learnt.

• 22/07/2012 (3:08 AM)

Wow

• 21/07/2012 (9:34 PM)

Protip: Disney’s Pocahontas and James Cameron’s Avatar ARE THE SAME MOVIE.

• 21/07/2012 (8:19 PM)

I remember hearing about Apple and Samsung. I’m glad Apple lost, and the hilarity than ensued is indeed hilarious. I think some patents are getting outrageous. If it’s something totally unique that you came up with, or something that cost a lot of time and money to make, then you have every right to protect your idea, but there are some things you can and should let slide.

• 22/07/2012 (9:01 AM)

Like rounded corners.
      Apple patented the ROUNDED CORNERS.