secretprojects

I don’t think a lot of words are needed here to make clear what general message I’m aiming for, but we need a blog post, so here goes anyway.

If you look at commercials for products women would use, or really any commercial in general, you’ll notice it’s almost always presenting you with a woman who apparently has a “perfect body” or whatnot. And they’re made even prettier due to the magic of the product they’re trying to sell you (also Photoshop). This all gives off the idea that they’re setting a beauty standard, and that unless you reach that you’re not beautiful and can’t be happy and bluh bluh such bitching.

Cosmetics industry and commercial creators, listen to me. There’s no such thing as a beauty standard, and one does not need your silly doodads to be happy. Outer beauty is objective, so don’t judge people based on your opinion of their looks. That’s just stupid.

Also why are there no sexy men if women’s commercials if there are sexy women in men’s commercials?

Ugh I kind of lost my flow in the post here. Bluh, it’s getting late anyway. I’ll be cutting it short here, sorry!

Comments

• 06/05/2012 (10:58 AM)

Humanity seeks perfection. So if you pick a perfect looking model as an endorser of your product, people tend to seek it. Because they would want to look the same way. I know it sounds kinda stupid, but that kind of marketing strategy actually works as most of the population keeps biting the bait.

• 04/05/2012 (9:35 PM)

@Hazel no but deodorant commercials and such depict men as being 200 lbs all muscle with no body hair and a rock hard chin, which is the same as expecting a woman’s bust and hips to be 10″ larger than her waist with no wrinkles on her face and perfect hair at all times.

• 04/05/2012 (9:43 AM)

I think there are hardly any “sexy men” commercials as men don’t wear make-up lol

I have seen a bunch of “sexy men” commericals concerning face creams, razors, hair dyes etc lol

• 04/05/2012 (9:28 AM)

I sorta think there is a standard though, the one the advertisers create for their marketing.

• 04/05/2012 (5:59 AM)

Women are weird.

• 04/05/2012 (4:28 AM)

i know what you mean. the commercials suck and can make girls have low self esteem, need to bring back the real sized beautiful women.

• 04/05/2012 (1:08 AM)

I don’t know what commercials you’re watching but men are sexualised as much as women are. Though you have a point about beauty and what not. You can’t hope to attain the looks of an advertising model, because they can’t either. Gotta love Photoshop. Still, if you’re going to be that insecure, you probably need help. I don’t think all the blame can be placed on the cosmetics industry.