Your friendly neighborhood support

Quality science is what it is. Fun, too!

QM is the kind of physics that’s all about stuff on particle-level (and even smaller). It’s not what you see with the naked eye, but what that which you see is made of. Atoms and their building blocks, the building blocks of those building blocks, and infinitely more complicated from there on!

Instead of giving you the general idea myself, I’ll provide you with a nice educational video on the basics and fundaments of QM. It explains it way better than I ever could.

Pretty darn interesting, huh? Observing is changing the outcome of whatever you’re observing! This makes for all sorts of really interesting thought experiments such as Schrödinger’s Cat or Quantum Immortality.

Do you see how this ties in a bit with my last post on probability (check it out if you haven’t already, it’s grand!)? We were “observing” the die roll in a special way: expecting it to happen. Perhaps even much in the same way as happened with the double slit experiment when they decided to watch what happens!

It might be very well possible that QM can ultimately provide an explanation for ESP, psychic abilities, and so on. Bringing the science into the pseudo- to non-science, I wonder what’ll happen.

Though it’s a pretty big field, there’s still a lot we don’t know yet. If you’re interested, check out tidbits of the Simple English version of Wikipedia’s page on QM here. I do recommend you try to find your own sources though. There’s ones that keep it simple, while others go deeper. Find the one that suits you and read it cover to cover.
Also, if you’ve got a book to recommend, I’d gladly list it here!

Science can be so cool you guys.

Comments

• G
    21/04/2012 (8:37 AM)

Quantum theory blows my mind when ever I read about it…I once tried to understand string theory and needed a holiday to recover…interesting stuff though and great choice for Q.

• 20/04/2012 (8:57 PM)

I just love the quotes of Max Planck (considered to be the founder of Quantum Mechanics):

: I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness. ~Max Planck

: As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. ~Max Planck

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Max_Planck

• 20/04/2012 (11:15 AM)

I have read about the double slit experiment a while ago, on Wikipedia. However, I didn’t really understand it. This video explains it perfectly.
    It get’s you wondering, our life may not be what it seems…

• 20/04/2012 (6:20 AM)

Quantum Physics is indeed interesting but I find most of that stuff just goes past my head :(

Wish they had a layman’s view on quantum physics :D

20/04/2012 (1:41 AM)

even more sorcery! drown him!

• 20/04/2012 (1:03 AM)

I do like quantum physics but I accepted a while ago it was a bit beyond my reach. But I do think it epitomizes science really. Science is about finding out the things we don’t know, and there’s so much we don’t know when quantum’s come in to it. There’s no telling what we’ll discover.