The Plan

Kanker

Kids these days (over here in the Netherlands) can only curse with one thing: “kanker”. (Which is Dutch for cancer, mind you.)

For Christ’s sake, it’s all you ever hear. It’s not only hella annoying, but also stupid and rather offending. I know a fair share of people who’ve lost loved ones to that horrible disease, and I myself have a family member who has/had it (but luckily got the better of it).

Sure, I’m fine with cursing, I tend to do it myself every now and then, but it’s mostly “harmless” swears, or at least rarely anyone will be badly offended by them. But imagine this, your best pal just died to cancer, and you’re walking through the streets all depressed and stuff, and there’s this group of youths. They’re talking rather loudly. “Yeah and then this drives by in his ugly cancer car.” Just when you’ve got your mind distracted, they shove your nose into the shitty facts head-first.

Also Dutch people on the internet. All the time. In every sentence. Everywhere.
(Okay there are exceptions but I’m not talking to you.)

Yeah this was basically me ranting on about local problems, but the youth in general is pretty stupid these days. Hey, good Y post right there!

Also, apologies to anyone I may have reminded of stupid memories or other things. Stay strong!

Comments

• 24/04/2012 (10:42 AM)

this brings a whole new understanding of the Kanker Sisters from Ed, Edd and Eddy.

• 13/04/2012 (6:15 PM)

At least you know how to swear in Dutch. I can barely swear in Mandarin, only Cantonese.

• 13/04/2012 (4:52 PM)

Kanker sounds cute

• 13/04/2012 (8:37 AM)

I think a lot of curses in every language can make people in certain situations hurt.

• 13/04/2012 (4:37 AM)

And this is why I try not to swear/cuss.

• 13/04/2012 (3:20 AM)

I think it depends on the person who hears the swear words. Take my classmate for example. Saying “fuck” when you see something horrible won’t offend a normal person. But my annoyingly sensitive classmate almost cried when she heard me say it ’cause “it offended her.”

• 12/04/2012 (11:26 PM)

Never heard of that word being used as a swear word. It is a hated word anywhere in the world. I have a daughter whose cancer is in remission and a son-in-law who has multiple Myeloma and it will never be cured. Cancer touches almost every family in some way. Our family has learned to deal with it. Our trust is placed in God to take care of us. Best regards to you. Ruby

• 12/04/2012 (10:12 PM)

If it’s such a natural curse word maybe people don’t realise that it’s offensive or going to remind everyone of cancer. Like, when people say wanker over here I doubt very much that they’re thinking “oh this may cause someone to think of wanking” lol!

• 12/04/2012 (8:04 PM)

…Okay, I’m kind of divided on this. I understand that people don’t like to be reminded of those things, I really do. And it’s completely pointless and really downright disrespectful to use the word so often and so uselessly. On the other hand, I’ve used it myself sometimes (although I generally don’t). I’ve lost my grandpa to cancer, but the point is that in my head, the disease is in no way connected to whatever I use as an expletive. Sometimes I do think people should stop being so sensitive about these things, but I guess that’s just me. Sorry to be so unsympathetic… :/.

• 12/04/2012 (11:34 PM)

I’m with Levy really. I know people who died of cancer, and I’ve, well I’ve had shit happen to me (not cancer) but nah I find jokes about it funny still. If anything it helps to have someone make light of the situation. Though I do hate it when people insert swear words into every second word in a sentence. I don’t know why but I was expecting you to post about Karkles and spend infinity years talking about Homestuck. I guess that’s for H.

• 12/04/2012 (7:57 PM)

Yeah, dumb swears are dumb.
    Rape jokes need to die next.