Fang talks, you listen.

Graphics

Good grief, it’s all most people care about these days!

Gamers, mostly, but also video fanatics tend to get a bit OCD-y concerning graphics. It’s got to be the best of the best, newest of the newest, most realistic-looking stuff ever, otherwise it’s no good.

Kind of tying in with my inspirational post from two days back, I’m going to say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Really, the creator may not be the best graphic designer, but fuck me if he isn’t capable of making a good game!

Now, I think I know where this judgement comes from. There’s lots of half-finished, raffled bullshit out there, and for most of those games, there wasn’t even that much effort put into the graphics. But that doesn’t mean every game with bad graphics was hastily finished, badly put together.

Also, old games are still very well playable despite their hideous graphics by modern-day standards. Besides, retro is cool. Retro is always cool.

Crisp video quality is pretty neat though.

Comments

• 09/04/2012 (3:52 AM)

Compared to the first video game, ‘Pong,’ today’s graphics are wild. I play one game religiously on my Android, Homerun Battle. It has nice graphics and realistic sounds. Sadly, it is far too addictive!

• 08/04/2012 (11:05 PM)

Gotta agree with you here. FFVII was a bit of a stretch for me; sometimes I couldn’t see where I was supposed to be going due to poor image quality. However, I thought the story and atmosphere were really cool – despite subpar graphics. Nowadays there’re some who flip their shit if a single pixel’s out of place. Chill, people.

• 08/04/2012 (4:22 PM)

I’ve never been a video game person so I really have no idea which ones people today are playing. But if I were to choose a game, I’d choose the really really really old Donkey Kong thingy. The one where you need to use the really really really old Gameboy. (We still have that, yes :)) ) The graphics is obviously crappy and the characters are just black and shit green but I always loved playing that.

• 08/04/2012 (8:22 AM)

Realistic is not always better. For example, some of the best looking video games are timeless ones with a great art style rather than the ones trying to be photo realistic.

• 08/04/2012 (7:43 AM)

Funny, I was reading an article on video game graphics just about an hour ago…

• 08/04/2012 (5:50 AM)

Some games do have that awesome retro look. Ocarina’s of Time’s graphics and sound will always have a magic feeling of nostalgic awesomeness for me. I also prefer the original Super Mario Bros’s NES graphics in comparison to it’s remake on All-stars on SNES.

• 08/04/2012 (2:20 AM)

nice G post
    do check out my G at GAC a-z

• 07/04/2012 (9:54 PM)

some newer games are too hard to play, too, according to my kids…too sensitive and glitchy

• 07/04/2012 (9:23 PM)

My brother made me feel like a chode the other day. I told him I wanted to double up on my video cards and he went on and on about how idiotic it is to want ten billion more polygons.

Although I understand where he is coming from, I am still getting another card.

• 07/04/2012 (8:29 PM)

I would watch what I say if I were you. “Fuck me if he isn’t capable of making a good game!”? There are lots of really bad games out there, just sayin’. x’DDDDDD.

Apart from that I quite agree. :’D.

• 07/04/2012 (8:26 PM)

If a game is good enough, I am willing to look past the graphics. I mean, I recently played through Final Fantasy VII, which has bad graphics (let’s be honest here people) and was playing FFVIII, which, while it has better graphics, still fails. I’m not that much of a graphics whore, but I have been known to judge a game a little because of it’s graphics. That still brings me shame.

• 07/04/2012 (8:58 PM)

Too true. But you knew I agree with you on this, of course..

• 07/04/2012 (8:18 PM)