~torbyt-sogwyx

Jake English and Lord English.

Seriously though, what’s the deal with the distinct differences and rivalry between British English and American English? Why not just have everyone STICK WITH TRUE BRITISH ENGLISH?

Nah. But I still find it odd though. It’s practically still the same language! Different pronunciation, different words for things, and with or without gratuitous amounts of U’s.

I myself, when it comes to spelling, prefer to stick with British English. It’s classy, and God damn it if I can’t be bothered to add a few U’s here and there. Classy as fuck, I tell you.

But then again where British people would use “cycling” I would say “biking”. Actually no, cross that, I use both. My English is a bit of a slurry of British and American English combined, with classy highlights. (Thank British English for that.)

What kind of English do you speak? I that influenced by where you lived, how you were brought up or what people you came across on the internet?

Comments

• 22/03/2012 (10:17 AM)

i think its just because americans are retarded :) so the make up there own american language known as english 2.

• 22/03/2012 (9:21 AM)

British English with a slight American accent on some words lol! You know, just to be awkward

• 22/03/2012 (8:14 AM)

Yeah, British English all the way :D

• 22/03/2012 (8:01 AM)

American English is cooler because they replace a lot of s with z.

like realize/realise

• 22/03/2012 (6:47 AM)

I speak pristine American, because of my mom. I like to make jokes about the Brits and their schwas, but the truth is I do love British accents. They’re incredibly varied and fun to listen to.

• Zyu
    22/03/2012 (3:20 AM)

We learn British English in my country, but nobody speaks like the British at all.

• 22/03/2012 (1:08 AM)

British English of course. I wouldn’t say I consider “American” English a curse, but I can live with it I guess. I do get a bit peeved when a computer says that a word is wrong if you include the silent u. It’s colour dammit people!

• G
    21/03/2012 (11:54 PM)

I speak Wenglish…a mixture of Welsh and English

• 21/03/2012 (10:56 PM)

Well you know what kind of English I speak, of course, and I’m not quite sure where I picked it up.. Though I do find myself influenced by what people around me speak. Back when I was on a Dragon Age: Origins spree, I automatically found myself talking with a slight British accent, reminiscent of the way Alistair talks (in the game).