Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

It’s been so freezing cold over here in the Netherlands lately. What is even UP with that temperature, anyway? Not the thermometers, that’s for sure.

Last night it was as cold as -22.5 degrees Celsius at some places. That’s, like, colder than your freezer! It was rather foggy too, so when I woke up everything was coated in a glittering white coat of fabulous.

This makes for great ice skating, though. The ice is more than thick enough by now, so it’s perfectly safe to go out and skate on the ice. They’ll be holding that huge eleven-cities-course (or whatever the hell they would call it in English) soon, too. People skating miles and miles on end, cool. (Pun intended.)

But what about the homeless people? They’re quite literally freezing to death out there. Sure, there’s shelters for homeless people, but they ain’t all over everywhere, so there will definitely be some people out there in the cold, all day and all night. Shit, poor people.

Lesser problem (but still pretty annoying) is the trouble these tiny amounts of snow cause for busses and trains. G’DAMN, getting somewhere has never been this hard before!
Each year they say “next year we’ll be ready”, but then one or two unexpected snowflakes hit the train tracks and suddenly there’s huge delays and chaos and whatnot. Pussies.

How’s your winter doing?

Comments

• 07/02/2012 (10:09 AM)

Well, at least it’s not a typhoon or a tsunami. Our government here keeps saying that they’ll be ready for next time but hundreds of people still die due to the flood because of their unpreparedness. Yesterday there was a huge earthquake and the government didn’t even announced a warning to the public.

• G
    05/02/2012 (10:43 PM)

I thought it was only the UK that shut down when they got the wrong kind of snow on the train tracks…but we’ve got it easy here at -6

• 05/02/2012 (7:21 PM)

So right. Though I gotta say, I got from Zeewolde to Harderwijk and back no problem today. The buses were even on time. Imagine that!~

• 05/02/2012 (3:36 PM)

Too bad we don`t have winter here. But I think it`s also a good thing `cos there`s a lot of homeless people in this part of the world. :)

Happy Winter!

• 05/02/2012 (12:45 PM)

Awwww… we don’t have Winter here. :( It sucks!

• 05/02/2012 (9:48 AM)

Be thankful, my winter has been really warm and it only snowed once :(

05/02/2012 (2:47 AM)

in our locality, it’s around 25-27 C in the day…. the endless summer…

• 05/02/2012 (2:46 AM)

Cool! :D

Also, I have now done the 11 question tag. Check it out!

• 05/02/2012 (1:19 AM)

We just got some lovely snow :D Though now I am feeling bad for the homeless :(

• 04/02/2012 (11:18 PM)

My winter has been -35 degrees today, sucks. :(

• 04/02/2012 (10:04 PM)

It’s ranging from -20 to -37 *C here.
    Love jogging in the morning, though, -30 *C is a bit much for that :D.
    Pushing, or rather, sliding vehicles with gearboxes and wheels frozen stiff on a slippery combination of snow and ice is pretty fun too.

For me it’s nice and beautiful, but I probably can’t imagine how the other guys are doing in the woods. Hopping from one snowdrift to another in bunny suits with frozen guns.