Length doesn't matter when you're horizontal!

Let’s start of this year good and well by posting a rant, right off the bat!

Programming is something that’s being done all around the world, by all kinds of people. Americans, Italians, Russians, you name a country, they got programmers for sure!

I always thought it was common sense to program in English, even if all the characters needed for your language are supported. I can wrap my head around that though, if you do a function name or something in your native language. But what really pisses me off is when people put comments in their code in their native language. Had to figure out how something worked a few days back, but I honestly couldn’t understand batshit, since the comments were in Russian or some other gibberish language or something!

If you’re programming for a large userbase of which you know has some non-Russian people, then please, do everyone a favour and do the comments in English, even if your English sucks really badly. That would’ve helped me a lot more, ’cause I could’ve at least guessed what something was for. With Russian comments, I have nothing to go by, seeing as how I don’t get shit about how a function’s supposed to work to begin with.

So if you ever get into programming, have some common courtesy, program in English will you?

Comments

• 06/01/2012 (12:34 AM)

To those who suggested Google translate:

Are you serious? I failed my french class assignment BECAUSE I used Google translate. So I tried translating English paragraphs into my native language and it didn’t do a good job at it either. NEVER use Google translate unless you want inaccurate results.

• 04/01/2012 (9:36 PM)

If you are working for a small user base in your country I can understand writing it in your language but anything else, well everyone has beat me to it but English is the universal language. I have a Polish friend who was born and raised their, she can’t even speak Polish, they never taught her :O

• 04/01/2012 (7:32 PM)

I thought programming code was like math, any language can read it. Guess I know even less than I thought.

• 04/01/2012 (3:14 PM)

I’m from Poland and I hate when I need a tutorial for something and this tutorial (probably very good tutorial…) is in NATIVE language …

• 04/01/2012 (9:34 AM)

english is all I know :D

• 04/01/2012 (4:05 AM)

Because everybody in the entire world should cater to the English-speaking population?

• 04/01/2012 (3:53 AM)

Infiniteplans beat me to it. I’m sure a translator wouldn’t be too hard to use lol. But if the coding is in english as well, I don’t see why the notes shouldn’t be

Weird Interesting News

• 04/01/2012 (3:19 AM)

I don’t use comments in my codes.
    I don’t want anyone else use them >(

• 04/01/2012 (3:15 AM)

No I get what you mean. I program a lot in Ruby Script, and most coders who use Ruby Script are Japanese, so the translation is always wonky.

• 04/01/2012 (2:55 AM)

Sorry to hear about this issue.

• G
    04/01/2012 (1:39 AM)

fair point…

• 04/01/2012 (1:29 AM)

Ha yea I could see why taht would be extremely annoying

• 03/01/2012 (11:48 PM)

In this sense English really is the universal language – it’s much more logical to assume someone knows English than, say, Spanish (or weirdo Russian stuff), in most places, and hopefully most people have enough common sense to respect that. Makes me glad I’m a native speaker.

• 03/01/2012 (10:27 PM)

Google Translate is your friend. I know infiniteplains said it too but I was going to say it and I didn’t want to change my comment. So there. I don’t know if I’ll ever get into programming but if it helps I am English so I will put all notes in English.

• 03/01/2012 (9:41 PM)

I know what is this… brazilian here, and had to mess around with cod written in german. it was a pain in the ***

• 03/01/2012 (8:58 PM)

Noted!

also, google translate might give you a guess at it at least :p