Time to use GameMaker!

This is where I rant about books, literature and other forgettable printed works, I guess.

Why in FUCK’s name do we have to read SO MANY BOOKS? Yeah yeah, because school says so. Fuck school. This is just nonsense.

We get thought about the history of the literature of the languages we get in certain classes, sure, I’m sort of okay with that, but I just don’t see the use of reading a gazillion books, especially not for languages that are not our native one.

Okay, sure, it gets you your reading exercise and adds to your vocabulary and whatnot, but that really is it. Most books that are considered “high literature” and we are actually allowed to read are mostly composed of the biggest pretentious bullshit ever written by mankind!

And even if the story is cool, I’ve never seen the appeal of books, really. I’d much rather watch a film, or better even, play a game. Why? Sensory overload is why. It features rich (and in games interactive) worlds in which we can engage, and we use a lot of senses when watching/playing! Besides, games have heavy social aspects, whereas books cause you to become a shut-in!

Not hating, just pointing out how stupid this all is. Like really, what if books came after video games? (Don’t mind the stupid Dutch subtitles, they’re full of erroneous translations anyway.)

So what’s all the fuss about with these “books” anyway?

Comments

• G
    08/01/2012 (1:41 AM)

you just have to find the right books… although I was the same in college

• 06/01/2012 (7:56 AM)

I TOTALLY disagree.

On days that I have no responsibilities, I’ll sit and read for hours. If it’s a good book I’ll get totally immersed and I won’t realize how long I’ve been reading until I’ve finished it.

So what if I’m a shut-in. :P

• 06/01/2012 (7:02 AM)

I get by pretty fine in college not reading what is “required”

• 06/01/2012 (4:46 AM)

Hated having to read the boring as hell books in high school

Weird Interesting News

• 06/01/2012 (2:40 AM)

I agree in a sense, if you’re going to be forced to do something, it’s more likely to be wasted on you even if it is for your own good. :\

Also, I’m already on day 2 of the push-up thing. Where are you at? :P

• 06/01/2012 (1:03 AM)

I don’t read a lot of books, only comic books, graphic novels, mythologies, horror novels, etc. I love books, but I hate school books since they are such a hassle to carry around everyday and I barely learn anything from them.

• 06/01/2012 (12:55 AM)

I used to think like you, then I took a book to the knee. If books came after games, then I would find myself enjoying the game more. With books instead of movies for me it’s more finding something in it’s original format. Movies change too much. Though it is true that I’ve found some things in books that weren’t in movies and found myself thinking “Hey, I see why they left that out.” I just enjoy reading books. Though it is very true that “high literature” as it’s called usually can, and does, contain a lot of pompous shite and the people who do read them become pompous towards towards the ones that don’t. I’ve always wanted to read Dracula, what is considered to be one of the greatest novels ever written, but I can never get through it all.

• 06/01/2012 (12:05 AM)

I totaly agree (didn’t watch the video) but from experience I know people say books are good cause thats what they where told. When fictional books came out in the 17th or so century they were thought to be frivolous and only for rich people who had time to waste.

Books use to give good ideas and new out looks on things but they do it so slow its made obsolite by standard thinking (people didn’t think as fast in the old days).

Also, the TV show Saturday Night Live was for adults in the 70’s but is less sofisticated and challenging then Animaniacs! a kids show from the 90’s! Every generation gets faster in there thinking.

If your angers comming from a point of having books pushed on you from a parent or teacher make sure not to make the same mistake when your a parent or teacher!

• 05/01/2012 (11:37 PM)

I remember I bought 5 books every 2 months in college. Some teachers wanted 3 books for one class. It only get worse…

• 05/01/2012 (9:45 PM)

I used to think just like this when I was younger ;)

reading is all about new points of view… it broadens your mind, and is VERY good for you. the thing is: it’s hard. reading is a heavy exercise for various aspacts of your mind. but… exercise, as hard as it could be, always bring good outcome.

I love cinema and games too, but it’s a totally different experience. like comparing swimming and travelling by car, I think.

one important thing too is to find books, styles and stories you like! then, it becomes a pleasure, instead of a chore.

my point of view ;)
    cheers, mate

• 05/01/2012 (9:10 PM)

As much as I love to read, being forced to read things I don’t want to read is awful.