Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

We’ve covered judging before, but that was more the bullying-people-because-of-first-impressions side of things. Today, we’ll get into judging done when soliciting for a job, for example.

This topic idea was sparked by a pretty fierce discussion I had with some friends today. (Nobody really agreed with me. ): ) Thanks for the idea guys, but please watch my blood pressure next time!

In any case, imagine the following scenario: you (currently undefined) go in for a talk with a possible future boss. You do however, have a “mom” tattoo on the top of your chest ever since she died in a horrible accident a few years ago. Her ash was put into the ink for the tattoo. What do you do with it? Cover it up, or leave it visible?

Most people would cover it up, just to be safe. But why would you? If your boss can’t accept you for who you are, then fuck him, he’s not worth working for!
Okay, sure, it has a bit of an aggressive look, and if you’ll be dealing with customers face-to-face, the company wants a pretty face to show the customers. But why? Why should I customer be bothered by your tattoo, coloured strings of hair, tongue piercing, or skin colour?

When going for a job interview, people pretend to be someone else. Someone who looks different. Why? Better chance at the job.
People shouldn’t accept or deny others a job because of their race or looks. They should do so based on that person’s motivation and achievements! But why do they do so anyway? The customers.
So, going to the roots, customers shouldn’t be bothered by how an employee looks! There is no reason for them to ask a “normal” employee for help instead of one with a tattoo on his/her arm! Todays stereotypes are fucked up, and not realistic at all.

Taking Muslims as an example here (sorry guys, but this is just for explanatory purposes). Why do we not feel as at ease in a group of Muslims or other foreigners as we do in a group of our own people? Just because that mean over there has a beard doesn’t mean he’s hiding a bomb in it, geez! Sure, some group of Muslim extremists flew a plane into some building, but that doesn’t mean all Muslims want to do something along those lines!

To sum the whole problem up: people should not judge others based on looks, linked to shitty stereotypes, and just treat them as they treat everyone else. Or better even, as they want themselves to be treated. But alas, that seems quite impossible nowadays. From birth we get all kinds of subliminal messages thrown at us, making us believe that all gothics are scary people and that a group of foreigners is to be avoided at all times.

Society sure is one fucked up place.

Comments

• 13/10/2011 (4:06 PM)

I think that’s why I enjoy so much being online since I can avoid that kind of things and just have a nice conversation. Wonder if people would judge avatar pictures too.

13/10/2011 (5:23 AM)

word…unfortunately… :(

• 13/10/2011 (12:46 AM)

love this article, love how you aren’t another stereotypical jerk

• 12/10/2011 (10:53 PM)

I always get really embarrassed when I catch myself (internally) judging other people. When they prove me wrong it always solidifies the notion inside of me that prejudice is a ridiculous attribute.

• 12/10/2011 (9:38 PM)

Tsk.. Injustice, stereotypes, discrimination.. tsk, tsk.

You said it all, Fang. The society sucks.. Had an experience about discrimination.. once. But well.. long story. Next time.

• 12/10/2011 (8:10 PM)

I agree with you! People are too judge mental of others! Mostly this is managers of buisnesses owners of buisnesses cops polotitians heck it seems the only people who don’t often discriminate are the middle class.
    Shit floats to the top.

• 12/10/2011 (8:08 PM)

I was about to pick apart your argument of the chest tattoo, but then you argued for the big picture, and I see what you mean. What you have to understand though is that yes in a business environment, those with any visible body mods are *going* to be discriminated against. What has to (and what I think *will*) happen are the younger (our) generation moving into hiring positions. I’m already starting to see it, a business that wants to portray itself as hip/punk/cool/however-you-want-to-describe-it, may actually seek out and hire employees based on their body modifications.

There is a huge problem with judgementalism in this country that I think stems wrongly from religion, Christianity in particular. Google’s first page of judgmentalism is awash in links to religious websites. This greatly confuses me as it’s in the bible, ‘Judge not lest you be judged against.’ Now some may bring up the rest of the passage where it goes on to say ‘For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you’. Some may even use that to argue that therefore it *is* okay to judge, but that could not be a more incorrect interpretation, as it goes on to say ‘Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own?’ Every single judgemental person has just as many flaws (however invisible to the outside world they may be) as the people they judge against. Many religious that use the second line to argue against the first, ignore the third that argues against the second (but I guess that kind of ignorance is business as usual in the religious right).

As someone who plans on getting tatts down to my elbows, I understand the stigma attached to tattoos, piercings, or any other body modification. But until those that judge against me get to know the real me, they will never know the connections I have to every single body mod I make.

• 12/10/2011 (7:38 PM)

Society does need to sit in a corner. I don’t get much at work for my appearance although it is just long hair, I don’t have any tattoos, but I do know I am guilty of this myself. Of automatic assumptions that is, never really of trying to hide who I am. It’s a fucked up society with everyone doing what they need to do to survive, and get by, and that is just our base instinct. If there is a part of that thinks that the muslim guy is going to blow us up, our instincts latch onto it and do whatever they can to avoid this.

• 12/10/2011 (7:28 PM)

I’m glad that you started a topic like this. I’m quite pissed at this kind of discrimination too.

My friend was having a hard time getting a job just because of a tiny mistake he did when he was still young, a tattoo on his arm. He got it erased but the scar is so obvious that interviewers assume that it’s from a tattoo and rejects him. I mean, he got it erased and they still judge him because of it.

• 12/10/2011 (6:59 PM)

Damn you, society… go die somewhere in a corner.

• 12/10/2011 (6:47 PM)

I feel really ashamed of myself whenever I feel any prejudice kicking in, because I know how unfair it is to people. There was an article in the paper here today about a man who changed his Persian name to a Swedish one, and after going years without being called to any job interviews he got hired almost immediately.