Oh, Comely

My mouse batteries been in danger mode for, like, three days now. How are they still going?

But that’s besides today’s topic. I want to tell you how a fanbase can completely kill a franchise, brand, or something similar. I may or may not start ranting about one of my biggest hates, do be warned.

If the fanbase of, say, a series, is especially annoying when it comes to convincing others their series is the greatest, it will really kill the series. For real.
They’ll be all “Have you seen this? You haven’t? Go watch it!” to people who haven’t seen or heard of it. They’ll bitch at people who don’t like it saying “Well, you haven’t finished watching then.” or “Keep watching for the good part!” or something along those lines.
It can be a really gentle community for insiders, but outsiders with a different opinion will be shot out of the air like clay birds. This generally gives people a bad impression of the series itself. That hate, of course, should be directed at the fanbase, not the series.

Another great example, and one of the things that annoy me most: Apple fanboys. They’re among the most shittiest of pricks.
Know that I’m a Mac user myself, so I know perfectly well what I’m talking about.

I’m pointing at the people who buy Apple’s stuff because it has an Apple logo, because it looks pretty, or simply because they’re spoiled brats and their parents bought them “the expensive laptop” so then can show off, the rich-asses.
I’m pointing at the nitwits who have a baseless hate against anything that competes with Apple. “Windows? I have never used it, but I know it is something shitty and isn’t user-friendly and Apple makes way better things.”
And I’m spitting in the faces of those who constantly try to convince people Apple is top-tier. The punks who see someone using Windows and say “you still use Windows?” and then proceed to tell them how Apple products are, supposedly, superior.

In the last couple of years I’ve learned Apple is a shitty company.
I’ve grown up using Apple’s OS. I don’t know any better. That is one of the reasons I stick with it. It works for me, it works damn well. Up until a few years back I’ve walked the same path as my dad: “Apple is the bestest”. I’ve come to realise that Apple is shit. Remakes that only improve on the specs a bit (okay, a cool new design here and there), an iPhone that has no 3G, phone abilities (iPod Touch), an oversized iPhone (iPad) that started the idiotic tablet war. (I despise tablets, more on that later.)

But we’re drifting off here.
Point is, Apple fanboys and the likes are being idiots, and giving the brand an even worse name. If that’s you reading this: stop it, be objective, and no hating.

Comments

• 30/09/2011 (11:18 AM)

better get your mouse some new batteries-pronto!
    as for everything else you said, yes! i know a couple of people who buy Apple products just for the sake of them being Apple products and then they try and make everyone else who don’t buy Apple products feel inferior. not cool. why can’t we all just buy what we want to buy and use what we wanna use? T__T

• 23/09/2011 (10:35 PM)

I’m a Sony fanboy myself and prefer to buy products with their logo than the others. Especially when it comes to handhelds and consoles. I hope I’m not as bad as those Apple fanboys.

• 23/09/2011 (1:36 PM)

Ah, fanboys, anything in life can get a fandom. Why are more and more products aimed at teenagers? The rage wars induced by hormones give the company great popularity.

• 23/09/2011 (11:41 AM)

What I dislike most about apple is that it’s so successful at selling overpriced products that already existed. Tablet PCs, MP3 Players, Smart Phones, you name it. Literally anything they sell has a superior cheaper version out there.

• 23/09/2011 (2:47 AM)

this doesnt apply only to franchises but to literally everything, games, series, movies

23/09/2011 (12:10 AM)

The point is: your mouse is dying, give it some new batteries!

• 23/09/2011 (12:10 AM)

Absolutely agree… just look at the fanbase of the Yogscast. Simon and Lewis make amazing videos, but the vast majority of their viewers are frothy mouthed 14 year olds, it’s pretty sad.

• 23/09/2011 (12:09 AM)

I’m glad that you, as an Apple user agree. I saw someone in class today with an iPad…that had a keyboard adapter. All I could think to myself was “Really? Why not just get a used macbook, or netbook at that price?” But they bought it because it was Apple, they had to! On this note, I have to say Apple haters are just as bad. I mean, I’m just cheap. I don’t have anything against Apple other than the price…but the people who hate Apple because of the fanboys kill me.

tl;dr

• 22/09/2011 (11:28 PM)

People are silly! Why do they care what others like and dislike?! Madness madness!

• 22/09/2011 (11:10 PM)

yeah, same with god for me. I like God, i hate God’s fanbase

• Bob
    22/09/2011 (10:54 PM)

I like Sonic fans.. they’re all like “Sonic is mai waifu foreva and eva!!!11 I wan’t him inside my bumhole <3 <3 <3 <3 <3"

• 22/09/2011 (10:31 PM)

The Homestuck fanbase can be a bit fanatical as well but I’ve learned to tone out the extreme crazies and enjoy the rest of the fandom.

• 22/09/2011 (9:56 PM)

Not the fanbase I would have picked, but still a good one to pick. I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum, I have Windows, my brother has a Mac. He’s not a massive mac fanboi though. He doesn’t buy things just because they’re macs. The only apple product I have is a Ipod Shuffle I got for Christmas about 5, 6, maybe 7 years ago. I will say it’s awesome because it was preowned then, and it’s still going. Which is fantastic. I use an MP3 player if the charger dies, which is my main pet peeve with it. But overall, I stick with windows for computing, but that is mostly because I use computers for games. I don’t care if my £400 windows laptop isn’t as good as your £1000 (pretty close to the cost of my brothers laptop) laptop, it plays the games I want to play, that’s all I’ll ask of it. That and that it doesn’t tell anyone what I do to it late at night while it’s asleep.

• 22/09/2011 (9:16 PM)

I agree with most of what you had to say. You make some good points! ;P

• 22/09/2011 (8:41 PM)

Apple fanboys are mainstream. I’m a Ubuntu fanboy myself.