too old for this shit

I said “thinking around” because I can’t come up with a better translation for the non-existent Dutch word “omdenken”.
Thanks to one of the people from the site mentioned below for providing a more logical translation: flipthinking.

I got this from here, but it’s a Dutch site, so I can’t really get away with posting the link and telling you to read it. So, mayor credit to them, check ’em out if you speak Dutch.

Love
Waiting: Reality sometimes is so complex, that it’s best not to take action.
Accepting: Accepting reality for what it is, and seeing if you can do something with it.
Ratifying: Seeing what goes right, and being able to ratify that.
Respecting: Humans are prepared for everything, except for being taken seriously.

Work
Pushing: By continuing on, you create new possibilities.
Focussing: Focussing on what you want instead of what you don’t want.
Backwards thinking: Taking not the problem, but the possibility as a starting point.

Battle
Eliminating: Stopping with that what (no longer) works.
Importing: Not fighting your enemy, but making him your ally.
Collaborating: What do you want, that your enemy wants too?
Seducing: Using the desire of the other to create new possibilities.

Game
Displaying: Consciously showing what you would normally hide.
Switching roles: Tilt the pattern by swapping roles.
Disrupting: Is something a problem? Change the rules of the game!
Reversing: By “reframing” the situation a problem becomes a possibility.

I do apologize for my terrible translational skills. Still, I hope you learned something today.

Comments

• 19/09/2011 (6:29 AM)

I better learn some of those stuff before I lost the game.

• 18/09/2011 (10:18 PM)

this is really cool. definitely some food for thought, and something I’ve never heard of before. thanks for the post.

• 18/09/2011 (11:13 AM)

I read the Dutch site, because I’m that awesome.

• 18/09/2011 (10:17 AM)

The love one is surprisingly true.

• Anonymous
    18/09/2011 (8:26 AM)

Hi Fang Talks,

About ‘omdenkenm’ I wrote a series of books in Holland (one of them is translated into German). Apart from writing I”m conducting seminars in the Netherlands and abroad about my concept. More that 450.000 people already attented one of our programs.

I’ve made ‘omdenken’ up, by putting the Dutch words ‘denken’ and ‘om’ together. In Dutch the word ‘omdenken’ is therefore a newly constructed word.

‘Denken’ is Dutch for ‘to think’ and ‘om’ is equivalent for a lot of things, like ‘again’, ‘re’, ‘by’ of ‘over’. The basic idea of ‘omdenken’ is that one, by thinking, changes a problem into a possibility. So, the basic idea of ‘omdenken’ is that a problem is NOT solves, but TRANSFORMED into a possibility. Translating it to English is difficult, because not of the exciting language cab express, to my opinion, this idea of transformation. The best word we can come up with is ‘flipthinking’. The part ‘flip’ emphasizes the idea of transforming the problem into a possibility: the problem suddenly ‘flips’ into a possibility.

Regarding the strategies: you’re quite close with the translations. If you need more help, you might contact me via b.gunster@ja-maar.nl.

Berthold Gunster

• 18/09/2011 (6:44 AM)

Under love the first letters of each word spell out WARR! Thats deffinitly love!

• 18/09/2011 (3:34 AM)

Kinda confusing, but I think there are some nuggets of wisdom in there

• 17/09/2011 (11:24 PM)

Nice post!

• 17/09/2011 (11:22 PM)

i think the translations are perfectly fine :)

• 17/09/2011 (9:17 PM)

I like the whole changing the rules of the game thing XD

• 17/09/2011 (9:12 PM)

Interesting. Great post!

• 17/09/2011 (8:27 PM)

Nah it was translated okay :) It’s good stuff to think about. Also blogger is evil and doesn’t tell me you’ve updated. I refuse to “yay for Twitter” because Twitter told me. I refuse to.