Fang Talks v2.0

Today, we’ll be covering something we’ve probably all done at least once: piracy.

For you people new to the internet, pirating is downloading content (movies, applications, music, etc) that you’d normally pay for, for free. It’s sort of the new kind of theft.

HOWEVER, piracy doesn’t cost companies as much as they make you think. Okay, they lose quite a bit on it, but it helps a bunch, too.
it may sound odd, but there are plenty of people that pirate, say, a game, just to see if it’s any good. If they like it, they go ahead and buy the thing. And that’s how it should be done.

“Piracy is killing the [product here] industry.”
No it isn’t. And if it is, it isn’t the only cause. People pirate something, try it out, see how awesome it is, and buy the real deal. Even if they don’t legally buy it, there’s still a pretty big chance they’ll tell their friends about it. And those friends will tell their friends, and so on. There’s bound to be quite a few people there that actually intend on paying for the product if they like it.
That is, if it isn’t ridiculously priced (*cough*adobe*cough*).

Companies stress the effects of piracy way too much, in my opinion. It’ll be bought if people actually like the product. They have to be careful of overpricing, though. This will make people reluctant to buy it.

By the way, I got some interesting replies regarding programming and JavaScript. I’ll adress those tomorrow.

Comments

• 27/08/2011 (5:44 AM)

That’s an interesting other side of the argument but I know plenty of people who are pirating the games and not paying for it and I’m sure they aren’t the only ones.

26/08/2011 (9:37 AM)

you’re just trying to relieve yourself of your guilt, aren’t you? ;)

• 26/08/2011 (9:24 AM)

Piracy is done with ships on open water.
    I understand the point of companys, because no one would like to loose money. Even through i am not gonna pay over expensive prices for games. music or movies.

• 26/08/2011 (9:22 AM)

Yeah, gaming would be quite expensive if done only legally. And the whole DLC trend? That’s pure ripoff. I can’t imagine paying for a game and then five more times for silly DLCs.

• 26/08/2011 (1:16 AM)

You make good points. I pre-ordered Skyrim today (much to the dismay of a friend) but it was only £25 pre-ordered, full price is about 50, and I would not pay that for a game. Gaming is a sadly expensive hobby if one wishes to always play by the rules. I still think that for everyone who pirates something there are so many more who don’t.

• Rob
    25/08/2011 (11:13 PM)

I pirate stuff but Im not proud of it. I’d pay if I had the money.

• 25/08/2011 (8:42 PM)

I am pretty sure a lot of people would be very upset if piracy was somehow eliminated..

• 25/08/2011 (8:32 PM)

I love how the music industry will romanticize people making mix tapes back in the day, but rail against piracy today. Weren’t mix tapes piracy?

• 25/08/2011 (7:51 PM)

Piracy is the best thing!!!

• 25/08/2011 (7:39 PM)

I think it balances out because a lot of people who pirate weren’t going to buy whatever it was in the first place, so it’s not really a lost sale.

• 25/08/2011 (7:11 PM)

Piracy is just a way for people to experience more of culture than they could normally afford. And is a terribly underrated promotional too.