It's not a bug, it's a feature!

First day of February break almost over. Oh god I’m getting lazy already.

Today I want to talk to you about a phenomena you may or may not know.
You are aware that something sucks, terribly. You want to switch to something better, but can’t. Why? You’re waaay too accostumed to your shitty stuff so that you can’t do without it anymore.

I’ll give you a personal example.
I’m on a Mac, and use Microsoft’s Messenger for Mac from the Microsoft Office bundles. It sucks terribly. No video and/or audio chat support, it can’t recieve offline messages, and is pretty unstable in general.
Office for Mac 2011 is out. I download it, everything working fine. Except for Messenger. It doesn’t re-use any of the stuff from my previous messages. Contacts are out of their groups, display pictures are gone, and so are the emotes. Shitty thing; it uses a new format, so no way of batch-re-entering them. Fuck.
This only goes to show how shitty of a Messenger it actually is.

It is, however, the first, and only, messenger client I have ever used in my entire life. I have grown so accostumed to it, and I honestly can’t be bothered switching to a better client because that’d mean learning a lot of the tricks and stuff again. (Not that there are many tricks to Messenger Mac, but that’s besides the point.)

Same goes for the text editing app I use for essays and the likes; Microsoft Word. I’m on a Mac, I could be using the grand and powerful Pages! But alas, I don’t.
This one’s a bit different, though. Word offers all I need (for now), and pages offers more or less the same. It’s just more stable and makes for a better workflow in general. Why do I stick to Word? I can’t be bothered switching, learning where all the stuff I need is again.

Maybe I’m a little bit of autistic in that aspect; I can’t stand (major) changes. I am learning to cope with them more and more though, but I’m still not really looking forward to move out and live on my own, and go study and all that jazz. I like the way things are now, so why can’t they stay this way?
Meh, time moves on, so I guess I should keep moving, too. Nothing more I can do than just go with the flow.

Well, I’ll be seeing you guys!

Comments

• 22/02/2011 (8:09 PM)

Philosophy refers to this as “Weakness of the Will.”

Weakness of the Will is when you know the good, want the good, but still fail to do the good.

• 22/02/2011 (6:28 PM)

I have the same reluctance. No matter how hard I try to logically assess it, I can’t get beyond myself.

• 22/02/2011 (2:31 PM)

i’ve always been sort of resistant to change myself. i like things the way they are, nice and constant and i get upset when something happens that changes the usual flow of things.
    however, when i moved out, and started going to college (it was bound to happen), i realized it isn’t so bad after all and i’m actually enjoying myself now.

moral of story: sometimes, change is a good thing. :)

• Anonymous
    22/02/2011 (1:15 PM)

I am still missing the horses… =(

• 22/02/2011 (8:45 AM)

Should be either how shit of a messenger or how much of a shitty messenger. :p

Messenger is pretty good, though. On PC anyway. Get a PC!

• 22/02/2011 (3:57 AM)

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, turn and face the strain, ch-ch-ch-changes, don’t want to be a richer man. Man I love that song!

I think I’m kind of the opposite to you, I find that I need fairly major change in my life fairly often or i get bored and impatient. Its kind of frustrating sometimes though because I’ll make a spur of the moment decision without really thinking it through until later, and then realise that I would have been better with what I knew. But oh well, that’s life I guess!

• 22/02/2011 (1:03 AM)

Spare some change? ;)

• Rob
    22/02/2011 (12:33 AM)

I’ve been trying to be more accepting of change lately myself, it takes time. Don’t worry, you’ll get there!

• 21/02/2011 (10:34 PM)

I guess we can’t avoid changes…

• 21/02/2011 (9:44 PM)

I guess we can’t stop change.

• 21/02/2011 (9:25 PM)